Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It Feels Like Home



It Feels Like Home
Last Memorial Day weekend, my wife Sheri and I moved from Pocatello along with two cockatoos and an energetic malamute named Aspen to Island Park. We relocated ourselves and our company here because we felt that there could be no better place to live or work.  Our daughter, Heather followed shortly thereafter and opened The Salon at Mack’s Inn.
I was introduced to Island Park in 1961 at age seven. My grandfather owned a few undeveloped acres on the reservoir and after a visit to Yellowstone; he gave me the tour of his property. I moved to Pocatello in 1977 to become a police officer and it was then that I began to get reacquainted with this beautiful country. Camping with scouts or family or spending my Septembers bow hunting helped me to develop a love for the high mountain country.
 We started Bogden Outdoor Equipment, LLC in 2010. My first invention was the FlashLantern. The FlashLantern has a clear, solid fiber-optic mantle containing a circular prism which disperses light effectively and eliminates several breakable parts of traditional lanterns including mantles, globes and bulbs.
The FlashLantern uses an LED flashlight as its power source.
A bracket holds the FlashLantern in an inverted position from a rope harness with a quick release for hand use. It is manufactured in Idaho.
 We also sell a self-contained battery powered motion sensor floodlight called the NimoPD. I developed it as a nighttime perimeter defense and warning device against intruders, especially bears. We do most of our business via the internet at flashlantern.com. We also have a retail outlet in the Stage Stop at Mack’s Inn.
I have had numerous people tell us that they wish that they could live up here but weren’t brave enough to take the plunge. We started the YouTube channel Base Camp with Mike and Sheri to let others who can’t be here share in our experiences. We also wanted to chronicle some of the local events. We’ve posted videos on the Hungry Bear Market fire, the Fat Bike race and the Trails to Yellowstone public hearing. 
Everyone has been exceptionally kind and helpful as we transition from flatlanders. We have learned to appreciate the hardiness and character that is required to become a year-round resident of Island Park and hope to earn a place in this community.


No comments:

Post a Comment