Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Is the Cabin Haunted?

When Sheri and I moved to Island Park four years ago, we brought our malamute, Aspen along for the adventure. She quickly took to mountain life, making friends of our neighbors. Last year she made a new friend and presented us with two puppies, Boots and Socks. That is how we became a three dog family. The black and white lab/malamute-cross puppies have enough energy to provide power for the entire caldera if only it could be harnessed.

Not inclined to stay home, we keep them in the cabin until late evening when they are allowed to run. When I leave the cabin, Aspen usually lays in the driveway until I return. Over the past few weeks Boots and Socks have escaped from the cabin several times while I have been away. Sheri suggested that I was negligent for not completely shutting the door and tasked me with retrieving the dogs. What was really disconcerting was that each time the door was standing wide open. Had the puppies pawed at the ajar door and opened it wide before making their dash to freedom? I began wondering if the cabin had become haunted by a door-opening ghost or was age finally taking its toll on me.

The other day I cleared the snow out of the dog run so Boots and Socks could enjoy the sunny weather. I left Aspen outside to lie in the sun and returned inside to work on the computer. After about an hour I felt a cold breeze blow through the cabin. Walking into the TV room, the door was standing wide open and Aspen was lying comfortably on the floor.


This summer I changed the front door handle from a knob to a lever. Aspen learned how to open the door and let herself in. She is a smart dog that knows what she wants and I appreciate her initiative. I wonder if I can teach her to close the door behind her.

No comments:

Post a Comment