Friday, June 15, 2012

All That Is Old Is New Again

   In 1991, I began selling life and health insurance. The work was long but the money was decent and it seemed that I could be a help to others. It was a life far removed from the previous 11 years that I spent as a police officer for the City of Pocatello and as an owner of a bodybuilding gym.  Later I expanded into mutual funds and business was good. The industry was changing however. No longer did the corporate headquarters recognize significant value of agents in small markets. Eventually the company was sold to an international concern and I was let go.

   We started Bogden Outdoor Equipment in the hope that we could create an income for ourselves. I designed the Flashlantern and we were off and rolling. While promoting our new venture, I also spent the past year doing some bail bonds and fugitive recovery work.

New snowfall June 6 in the mountains above the cabin.


   I remarried eight years ago to Sheri and while I was dealing with my transition, she was facing her own obsolescence. She had been working in a mail house but the years of hard work had taken it's toll on her body. She has endured two surgeries on her right arm within the previous 18 months and was let go from her job.


   We became a couple who were both middle-aged and discarded . After some introspection, we decided that since the job market was not good, we would create our own jobs. We believe that one of the greatest advantages of this country is the ability to reinvent one's self  and create economic opportunity!




      We started Bogden Outdoor Equipment in the hope that we could create an income for ourselves. I designed the Flashlantern and we were off and rolling. While promoting our new venture, I also spent the past year doing some bail bonds and fugitive recovery work.  I took Sheri with me on a few arrests and she seemed to have fun.



   Finally, Sheri and I had an opportunity to move to Island Park, Idaho. We live about 5 miles west of the western border of Yellowstone Park. We both felt that it was time to reboot our lives and see what life has in store for us. This blog is a chronicle of our journey. Wish us luck and follow along if you would like.

  You can check out our products by clicking on the FlashLantern link on the right side of the blog page.

No comments:

Post a Comment